Cycling in Mayo
IN 2010, the Great Western Greenway was launched in Mayo, 42km of peaceful cycle and walking routes that follow the route of what was previously a railway line. This is an excellent cycling resource for families who want to cycle safely with their children, as for much of the route, there are no vehicles.
Where we are based in Pontoon, cycling the roads of Mayo provides a great day out for leisure and serious cyclists. Many of the routes are deserted, and we meet very little traffic. The scenery is amazing and you really feel like you have gotten away from it all, in touch with nature just you and your bike.
If organised cycles are your thing, April/May 2018 see’s the Wild Atlantic Way Cycle Spring Sportif, with three of the stages hitting the Mayo coastline
- Stage 9 – Monday 30th Clifden to Westport
- Stage 10 – Tuesday 1st Westport to Belmullet
- Stage 11 – Wednesday 2nd Belmullet to Enniscrone
Some useful cycle links are as follows;
- Cycling Routes Mayo – Visit Route You Website
- North Mayo Cycling Routes – Visit North Mayo Website
- Ballina Cycling Club, suggested routes of various lengths and difficulty
Any cycling questions, feel free to ask us when you book, we cycle regularly from our Pontoon base.